TB: HIST: Black Swan

  • Subject: [iris-photos] TB: HIST: Black Swan
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:10:03 -0500

BLACK SWAN was first registered by Orville Fay in 1952.

In 1960 he transferred the name to a different seedling, #57-18, which was co-introduced by Fay himself together with Steve Moldovan that same year.

The variety captured a string of significant awards--High Commendation in 1958, then after introduction Honorable Mention, 1960, Judges Choice, 1961, and the Award of Merit 1962.

BLACK SWAN was a wonderful performer for me in Idaho, and judging by the string of awards, it must have been equally satisfying in wide areas of the country.  I thought it quite elegant with its classic simplicity of line and form.

The LOGO on the fronts of the Check Lists beginning with the 1959, the glue-on seals once sold by the Society and on letterheads too, if I remember rightly, may have been based on Black Swan.  The form certainly does resemble the iris as I remember it, in fact resembles it quite strongly.

Thanks for the photo--a good one!

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to