Re: MTB Rim versus veins

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: MTB Rim versus veins
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:56:00 -0000

I'm not as easily convinced that they are not plicata. It would be
tricky doing a good test cross as these could very well be Umbrata
(variegata) spot with plicata pattern and the rest of the anthocyanin
removed by dominant ( "I" ) or recessive reduction of anthocyanin. The
proper test cross would probably need to be to something like Circus
Stripes or Autumn Circus. That is something with the plicata pattern
in the centre of the falls and probably with Ae ( anthocyanin
enhancemet gene). Crossed to something with a lighter pigment and only
on the rim could end up cancelling each other out on first generation.
Neither Keith or Joe said what the test cross was and what the
offspring looked like. I will need to do my own test crosses before
ruling it out. If you look at Expose and at Circus stripes then if you
remove one layer of pigment from Circus stripes with "I" then you
would have the Umbrata spot with stripes on it and no other pigment.
In this senario you would end up with something looking very much like
Expose (without the yellow touch that is).

Bill I sent the article to you. Let me know if you get it. Neil I
would be happy to send my articles to you for vetting.

Chuck Chapman

> > Whatever it is that accounts for the recently surfaced "L&S" (line
and
> > speckle) pattern observed in PUCCINI, IMPULSIVE, QUANDARY and
several others from
> > Ghio and Keppel, it appears to interact with the Umbrata spot in a
manner
> > somewhat like what you have observed with the MTB example.
> >

> I have the following crosses with Quandary:
>
> Cordoba x Quandary
> Kind Hearted x Quandary
> Chinese Treasure x Quandary
> Syrian Princess x Quandary
> Roberts 01-141a x Quandary (if memory serves, 01-141a is a Sun Ada
Beach sib)
> Gilded Cream x Quandary
> Sun Dappled x Quandary
> Quandary x Pumpkin Cheesecake
>
> I will be happy to cross any back to your suggestions if it will
help your
> genetic understanding or that of others. Mine is known to be beyond
help.

> My crosses were made expecting to let the resultant seedling blooms
determine
> individually the direction the second generation crosses would be
taken. If
> no clear direction is suggested by the seedling bloom, then back to the
> Quandary.
>
> As a point in passin', I have not accepted Puccini, Quandary, or
Expose as