Re: MTB Rim versus veins

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: MTB Rim versus veins
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:43:09 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@c...> wrote:
> Chuck, on the test crosses to determine whether this L&S phenomenon
were a variant of plicata, my understanding from either or both Keppel
and Ghio is that the L&S parent was crossed with an expressed
plicata--the basic kind.

 A couple of points of interest and consideration.
First, Expose, Quandry etc have a reduction of anthocyanin. If
dominant and with one dosage then half the seedlings will have the
anthocyanin only on Umbrata spot. Less if more then one dosage.
Second,  I have seedlings from Ruby Eruption, a classic plicata
pattern X Ring Around Rosie, an Umbrata  patterned plicata . Only a
few have bloomed but so far only classic plicata patterned plicatas.
no patterned in centre area so far.

Tentative, very tentative conclusion, RAR is recessive reduction of
anthocyanin and the centre spot may be repressed by the classic
plicata pattern. If RAR was a dominant reduction of Anthocyanin ( eg
"I") I  would have gotten  a lot of white and yellow seedlings that
were classic plicata genotypes. These types would not be recognized as
plicata until an apropriate test cross was made.

Third, there is a very definate interaction between Ae ( anthocyanin
enhancemet) and "I". that is dosage levels. Just a few minutes ago I
was reading numbers of seedlings counts from crosses of blue, purple,
white pumilas (etc)in old (1957) bulletins which when intrepreted with
the idea of Ae , make a lot of sense but in 1957 resulted in a lot of
confusion and mystery. As I'm reading I suspect the blue pumilas (and
MDB) to be balancing of "I"and Ae. the results of these crosses
suggest it very very strongly.

A light blue plicata will have its anthocyanin easily supressed but a
dark purple will be more persisent .

All of thes ideas are what make me wish to try a dark purple plicata
with centre markings on falls in the test cross.

Thus, with all these various factors at play I really want to do my
own tests and not just F1, but apropriate F2.

The results will be interesting at the very least and perhaps very
provocative.

Chuck Chapman