Re: Re: MTB Rim versus veins

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: MTB Rim versus veins
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:06:16 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:06:17 -0700

Checking through my records, I find a number of striped plants where the pattern is unusual, and I see something of a continuum.  I'm wondering where to draw the line between a "plicata", and a "line & spot" pattern.  In the extremes, I see them to be quite distinct looking, but I see a lot of things in between.

Neil, you mention an "umbrata" broken into stripes for Bob's 'Thornbird' seedling.  How do you relate this to the "line and spot".  To me his seedling looked like a standard expression of the plicata pattern with the veining suppressed in the standards, and the light rim thin not well-developed, and not unusual in any way.  There are numerous others where the pale rim is similar or more sharply defined, but otherwise the pattern still look the same.  Could it be that a gene other than plicata is modifying the plicata pattern, perhaps even the same gene in as most pale-margined "umbratas" that aren't striped?

There are cultivars such as 'Bengal Tiger' and 'Gay Stripes' that have a very stongly developed narrow pale rim, but they look as though they have an otherwise normal (but very fully developed) plicata veining pattern.  Others like 'Golden Zebra' have a blurry pale border that is ill-defined, and it is hard to tell where it starts.  Some like 'Iris Butter', 'Hello Hobo', and Tasco 99-tb-24-07 have strong veining basally that just fades into the background in the distall half as if blurred ink on wet paper, yet they still look plicata to me.  Others seem similar (such as 'Butterfly Baby', 'Los Coyotes' and 'Scalawag'), but have wire thin and barely noticeable pale margin, I don't see much difference between those and some where I can't see a pale rim.

Would 'Cinnamon Sun' and 'Goldkist' fit into the L&S concept?  'Goldkist' is grossly similar to 'Expose' and 'Quandary', but has the dark veining concentrated near the beard; it looks like a plicata that has the veining faded distally to me, but 'Cinnamon Sun' has the veining similar in location to some of the other examples you mentioned.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2593423/rand=907879084