Re: Plicata and Veins etc.

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Plicata and Veins etc.
  • From: "irischap" irischapman@netscape.net
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:15:48 -0000

There is still a lot to identify on all this. There is the veined spot
pattern as in the SDB photos I posted but also the distal wash as in
the picture I posted some time ago with a plicata wash on a plicata
with dirty orange veins that was plicata and dominant reduction of
anthocyanin, probably "I". Both of these had restricted anthocyanin
but different genetics. How they cross and interacts will be seen in
test crosses. My distal wash seedling looks very much like the lines &
stripes pattern in Quandry, Expose etc ( you have to look just at the
anthocyanin and ignore the cartenoid pigmnets.) The plicata with
veined spot is very much like Ring Around Rosie, Wild Ginger, Owyhee
Desert etc.
Then if I'm right about Anthocyanin Enhancement (Ae) then this will
also decresae veining with dosage effect and could end up being solid.
Many of these various forms will need test crosses or family history
to deciferthe pattern.  I have a black SDB with pale blue beard that
is from two luminata seedlings. The parentage tells me it has to be
plicata but it sure doesn't look it and neither do the blue plicata
seedlings that I also posted photos of.   In these case the parentage
told me they were plicata. If a cultivar looks like a weird plicata
then a test cross to a homozygous genotype such as a glaciata is
usefull. As with Randolph's test crosses you may need a couple of
generations to sort it out. Another tool is the punett square
expectations.   There are certain ratios expected. These can be tested
mathematicaly even with small crosses in some cases. With this ( as in
Randolph's tests) you can show that the cross should be all plicata
even if you have some seedlings that don't fit expectations.

All said in done, if it's not obviously plicata from appearance or
from two plicata parents, you need to do a test cross. No easy
answers. In the meantime we can speculate and plan out the necessary
test crosses. Searcing family trees and looking at outcomes from other
croses with the parenst of your suspect may give some insights.

Chuck Chapman