Re: HYB:Maiden Bloom (was Name that iris)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB:Maiden Bloom (was Name that iris)
  • From: Linda Hunt nakihee@gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:45:35 -0500

Betty
Thank you for all that great information.  Makes me want to tear up a
little for the maiden blooms though.  I will be cretain to take pics
so I at least have the breath taking memory on file!  LOL
This will be my first year for bloom on my seedlings...so I am holding
my breath for spring.  I will be a little more reserved in my
excitement come spring!  Thanks again and have a great day!  Linda

On 2/5/06, Autmirislvr@aol.com <Autmirislvr@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/5/2006 7:02:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> nakihee@gmail.com writes:
>
> <<  I would love to see that thick purple beard on a bold  yellow iris, >>
> Linda, now that I can see it . . . that is a beautiful beard!   <vbg>
> Seriously, I missed the point of the picture originally.
>
> And I do understand the lure of the purple beard on yellow!  I  embarrassed
> myself over such an iris on maiden bloom.  It bloomed 12 inches  tall,
> beautiful yellow laced bloom with a lovely mid lavender beard and
> substance.  So,
> it's a given it will be taller next year?   It's a TB!
>
> In my enthusiasm, I send a rhizome to Lloyd Zurbrigg.  We were on  a robin
> together and he was working on the blue/purple bearded  yellows!
>
> Important lesson learned.  Try not to get too excited over maiden  bloom!
> What you see is not necessarily what you get!  I  kept that beautiful iris
> for
> several years as a reminder.  It NEVER grew  over 12 inches tall!  And the
> purple beards became yellow beards.   What happened to the purple ?  It
> moved
> down and became a purple flash at  the end of the beard, but on the petal.
> (Spiced Orange X Laced  Cotton)
>
> Still, it was a beautiful bloom.  If that were to happen now, I might  work
> to pass on the purple flash.  But at the time I was too  shocked!  I can
> still
> remember the seedling #!
>
> And then there was the cream or palest yellow iris that bloomed  with red
> veins!  My memory said they were in the falls, but my notes say  they were
> in the
> standards!  I remember it as mesmerizing. I'd find  myself out in the garden
> just looking at it.  It was up on the hill and I  think I wore a path in the
> lawn!  Of course, the veins were gone in the 2nd  year bloom.  And the veins
> were real red, not pseudo red. (Blazing  Sunrise x Precious Moments)
>
> But what a treat!!
>
> Occasionally, an iris will go from ugly to gorgeous, too.

> If you  don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
> Betty W. in South-central  KY Zone 6 ---
> Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
> _www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/_
> (http://www.thegardensite.com/irises/bridgeintime/)
> _Reblooming Iris - Home Page_ (http://www.rebloomingiris.com/)