AIS:. Bulletin Articles

  • Subject: [iris-photos] AIS:. Bulletin Articles
  • From: "Michael D. Greenfield" mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:03:28 -0500

Bruce ask me to forward this message.
Mike Greenfield
----- Original Message -----
 Hi all:
I have received the following "list-in-progress" and I would like to make a few comments:
1. Article for beginners on how belonging can benefit them. Meeting other
iris growers and sharing rhizomes. How to find the nearest iris club. Assure
them they don't have to grow 800 iris to enjoy being a member. A new member
could write such an article with their experience.
***Yes, I agree.  As a matter of fact, we ran, fairly recently, an article by Rita Gormley on exactly that topic.  I'm not sure which issue, but maybe Rita will read this and can tell you exactly where it appeared.  Rita: If you're reading this, I would love to have a newer, updated version of your article, perhaps addressing the above suggestions....

2. Article on how it was in the old days. How hard it was to get new iris
and how much they cost.
***Yes!  I would love to have this.  Please, someone, write such an article!  It would be fun, and would also make us appreciate how easy things have become!

3. Not all of us are writers. Could we arrange  for someone to edit their
article for grammar? This might help some get over their fear of writing
***That's my job!!!  I'm the person who edits things for grammar, spelling, etc.  Believe me, being a great hybridizer does not mean that a person can spell or write well!  The articles that appear, whether they are by well-known hybridizers or "unknown" members (such as the short article in the January issue by Linda Stirling), are all edited by me, line by line.  Errors do get through, or somehow are made during the printing process, but anyway, editing is exactly what the Editor is here for!  In fact, it's the reason that I got involved with the Bulletin in the first place, just helping out because, as a reader, I used to be frustrated by all the errors that were in the Bulletin.

4. I see many post for information on companion plants with very little
help. An article on this might be good.
***We ran a Companion Plants article by Ray Schreiner about 3 years ago, maybe more.  But I would love to have a newer article.  Again, don't hesitate to submit an article on a topic that interests you.  Basically, my feeling is that if a topic interests YOU enough for you to write an article on it, then it will also interest other members.  I love to get articles from new contributors.  They don't have to be as scientifically knowledgeable as someone like Neil Mogensen or Don Spoon; if all the articles were scientific, it would be boring to most of the readers!  Again, if you have a subject about which you are passionate:  Put your words down on paper!  When you've finished, send it to me.  It's a very nice feeling to see your words in print, and if it's a subject that interests you, I think you'll automatically write well about it!
Thanks again,
PS: And if you write an article, good photos to accompany it are always a bonus!