AIS: Bulletin changes

  • Subject: [iris-photos] AIS: Bulletin changes
  • From: "Michael D. Greenfield" mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:06:58 -0500

Another quick responce
----- Original Message -----

Hi Michael:

Thanks very much for your input!  Please post my reply on iris-hort as well, if you don't mind....

I've forwarded your e-mail to the AIS Executive Officers, because I think you have some good ideas.

However, re the idea of local shows being listed, that is something that your Regional Newsletter should be doing.  We do that in Region 13, and if your own Region does not list all the local shows in your Newsletter, you should contact your RVP and tell him/her that you feel that that is important information to be distributed to AIS members in your area!

The problems with a "Business Supplement" as it is being discussed on iris-hort are both timing and money.  First of all, to issue a separate Supplement would require someone to act as the "Editor" of that Supplement.  Perhaps we could find someone to volunteer, so then that problem would no longer be a problem.  Next, unless that person is able to do all the pre-publication layout for the Supplement, we would have to pay someone to do that (my guess is approximately $1000, although that could be saved if the Supplement Editor has the time and know-how to do it him/herself).  Then, the Supplement would have to be printed.  It costs $800 to print the 6-page Symposium Ballot each year, so I would guess that all the Business that we are proposing to include in the Supplement would come to something like $7000 to print (on plain paper like the Symposium Ballot), which would not include any photos.  Next, there is the question of postage; posta

Last but not least, there is the question of timing.  If local shows were to be listed, the Supplement would have to be prepared and mailed in January, which would mean that the Supplement Editor would have to get all that info from each local club throughout the country...  This just doesn't seem to be possible!!  [That's why this particular responsibility is a job that the Region must do.]  So, removing a local show listing from discussion, we must still consider the timing.  If, for instance, the Supplement is to include the listing of AIS judges, then it must be published in January or February; so far so good.  But then if the Supplement is meant to include the list of AIS Award Winners for the year (as I have heard discussed), that means that people will not officially know the Dykes Medal Winner for 2005 until February of 2006 (as an example).  To include the updated list of Local Affiliates, it would have to include the list from t

Printing costs could be lowered if we had the Supplement printed overseas, but then there is a much greater amount of "lead time" needed for the AIS to get all the info, in printable form, to the overseas printer, and then to have that shipped back to the US for packaging and mailing.  This might be a good way to go, but, again, timing is always something to keep in mind.

There are some very strong advantages to having a Supplement, but there is also a lot of thought that has to go into the realities (cost and timing) of publishing such a Supplement.  I know that the Board is seriously interested in exploring this possibility, and suggestions and input are welcome!

Thanks again,
Bruce

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com>
Robert Pries sugested I send this to you from an e-mail to iris-talk I sent.

Robert and others I think this is a great idea. I think the supplement would be the best way.
One thing would be to have the Regional shows and even local shows listed. Many people can not afford the National. Going to a local show near them would give them a chance to meet other iris growers.

One very important thing AIS does not do is make it's existence known. I could survey my whole city of 50,000+ and not find 25 people that would know it exist. I have no idea of how to do it.

Membership dues in the AIS for someone who grows 10 different iris is not worth while. I get more information on the internet than I can from AIS. Still it serves a purpose for me. In my area I seldom see any iris growing except for some historics in over grown clumps. There are no iris clubs in the southern half of Ohio.

Mike Greenfield
Member AIS

From a more recent one: My choice to send

Articles we would like to see

Feel free to add to the list and when we get more we can forward it to Bruce Filardi.

1. Article for beginners on how belonging can benefit them. Meeting other iris growers and sharing rhizomes. How to find the nearest iris club. Assure them they don't have to grow 800 iris to enjoy being a member. A new member could write such an article with their experience.

2. Article on how it was in the old days. How hard it was to get new iris and how much they cost.

3. Not all of us are writers. Could we arrange for someone to edit their article for grammar. This might help some get over their fear of writing one.

4. I see many post for information on companion plants with very little help. An article on this might be good.

Feel free to add more.

Mike Greenfield

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b