Re: OT:PLANTS: Spring

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] OT:PLANTS: Spring
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:11:25 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:11:25 -0700

Still early, but here in central NM I've been seeing I. reticulata and kin in flower for about a week (some were probably earlier), there have been crocus of one sort or another for a few weeks, but the big blast in open areas has yet to come this year (late).  Winter Jasmine has been showing a few flowers since mid January, but they are coming into full flower now, and I see a few stray Abeliophyllum, Forsythia, Flowering Quince, etc.  Things like Elm, Maple, Juniper, etc. (at least some of the species) have been pollinating for about three weeks now, but they're still going strong (funny, haven't seen a single pollen report on the evening new yet).

The Rosemary is in full flower, but that doesn't count, since it's been in flower since October.  Some weedy mustards blooming now too, but not very many since it's been way to dry for them to germinate in most areas.

Lots of white butterflies in the front yard now (for about three weeks on warm days, a few before that).  Today was nice, sunny, but not too warm, about 55 F.  Have been up in the high 60's a few times now.

As for other Iris, some of the dwarfs seem to have buds down in the leaves, but it's hard to tell.  Some years I have flowers by now, but it's still early.

Dave
se. of Belen NM
USDA Zone 8a or 7b (still trying to decide which).

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS