Re: Spuria Identification

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Spuria Identification
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:27:09 -0700
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:27:09 -0700

Hi,

I'm not going to be much help in the exact identification of these, since I don't know their history, and I'm certainly no expert on Spurias.  However, they do look like they could be representatives of wild species to me.

My understanding of I. halophila and I. orientalis may not even be good enough to tell them apart reliably, but I know both are commonly cultivated, and both tend to come true from seed.  I believe there are named cultivars of both as well (definitely of I. orientalis).

The main reason I sent this note is to point out that in any wild species there is going to be individual variation, so it is quite possible that a specimen of perfectly good muselmanica might be of quite a different hue than another.  The blue-flowering plant resembles muselmanica to my eyes, but I'm not expert at recognizing it either.

I like Spuria types, and hope to get better at recognizing the various species, and hopefully somebody else more versed in these plants can take it from here.

Dave

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS