Re: Spuria Identification

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Spuria Identification
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:55:46 -0800 (PST)

Dear Lawrence.

Identification is difficult from pictures. Certainly
the one you think might be halophila would seem to
fit. Orientalis usually is much larger than halophila.
I would not use small color differences as very strong
criteria since photos are very hard to print so that
there is no color distortion. Pattern and form are
somewhat more reliable and your photo of musulmanica
would appear to be possibly accurate. Also the plant
you suspect is orientalis would seem to fit.

I pondered creating a key to the species but I have
yet to find any key that accounts for all variations
and it would take a lot of study to work this out.

Despite its imperfections, I hope you find the
checklist useful.

--- Lawrence & Helen Lacey <lacey@avalon.net> wrote:

> I have grown this spuria for several years, but
> wasn't sure what it
> was.  I thought I had it identified as Musulmanica,
> but the light
> blue doesn't match the photo on page 19 of the new
> Illustrated Spuria
> Checklist
> that Bob Pries has thankfully put together.  Anyone
> have any
> suggestions?  How about Cambridge blue or Mrs. Tait?
>  It's seedlings
> seem identical or virtually so to the parent.  See
> below.
>

> Halophila?
>   Here is another problem in ID.  I was calling it
> orientalis, but it
> doesn't look like the pix on page 12 of the
> Checklist, and besides it
> is too short.  It looks a lot like the drawing
> on page 133, Halophila.  This one comes out light
> yellow and fades to
> white except for the signal and is about 2' tall.
> How tall does
> Halophila Lutea grow?
>

> This white with strong yellow signal and
> pronounced under curved
> falls, I have grown for years under the name of
> Wakerobin.  In
> discussions with more knowledgeable growers,
> it appears it may actually be orientalis.  It is a
> tall vigorous
> grower that comes true from seed, which would
> indicate it's species
> nature.  I can't be sure of the differentiation by
> the
> pix on page 12 and 215 of the checklist.
>
> On the right above is a close-up of a  seedling of
> whatever the light
> blue in the top photo is.
>

> Orientalis or Wakerobin, what say the experts?
>
> Lawrence Lacey
> Siouxland Iris Society
> Sioux City, IA

Yahoo! Groups Links