CULT: best orange

This is a picture of 'Brilliance' (Painter 2005).  (spelled wrong on the photo)

I send this because it kept attracting my attention at the St. Louis convention.  I was also attracted by 'Exclusivity' (Innerst 199).  Each produced a bright spot in the gardens.   (I know this one isn't orange . . . just bright.)

I'm extremely partial to orange irises and have an incomplete collection.  It's hard to say which is best here.

When I was looking for an orange to breed in hopes of starting a reblooming orange line (2005), I looked across my garden at several orange irises in bloom.  I produced an orange rebloomer years ago from Harvest of Memory x Fringe Benefits and thought I'd use it again.  But Gratuity was the brightest of the ones blooming.  At that time saturation of color was important to me.  I also feel that any of Hager's orange irises could carry some chance of rebloom.  I'm not expecting much from this cross but I'm hoping a couple will bloom this spring.  Not the best growing seedlings in the patch.

My all time favorite orange iris is still Orange Star, but then I've not seen it bloom in years!    Orange Star had height, branching, and great form.  I still carry this picture in my mind of 5 stalks in bloom back in the late 80's.  Awesome!  It bloomed out.  Unfortunately, it had trouble surviving in most climates.  In 2004, I collected all of the children of OS that I could find in the US.   Orange Impact has a beautiful bloom, with massive increase.  The stalk was short with a low fan to stalk ratio. (other irises next to it in the bed grew stalks of normal height. )

Penny Lane didn't live in my garden.  McKellar's Grove has not been strong or outstanding in any way for me, but is still alive.  I won't replace it if it dies.  With the exception of Cordoba, I have trouble with most of the Ghio orange irises.  Also have trouble with the Fresno line of Dr. Weiler.  Linda sent Avalon Sunset in 2004, but I don't remember seeing it bloom, although I have memories of those around it.  Guess I'll have to go check it for survival, the first time the temp gets above freezing.  May be mid July!!

Ben Hager probably had the most impressive orange line, in his day. Orange Show may come the closest to perfection in my garden.  For me, a perfect orange would have the increase of Orange Impact, the height of Orange Show, the branching and form of Orange Star,  the lace of Fringe Benefits and the brilliance of Gratuity,  (maybe Son of Star or Orange Empire.) It should rebloom and grow well in my garden.  I don't ask for much!

Griff, did I hit on anything of help to you??

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives
iris-talk archives