Re: Stephanie Reading

  • Subject: Re: Stephanie Reading
  • From: "Kent Appleberry" <appleb@cut.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:38:11 -0000

The hall for the murals looks like a lovely setting. Hope your proposal turns
out the way you want it to. Cute photo of you in front of the bookshelves.

So you've got some piano students. You'll enjoy having the money. That
younger one sounds like a handful, but you seem to handle it well.

I'd be happy to go to the awards banquet. I'm not sure I'll be here yet. The
date for my mom's surgery is supposed to be settled in the next couple days.
Looks like I'll be gone for a month when that happens. Are you getting an
award? Most Accessible Brit or something?

I actually pulled up a few tiny weeds yesterday, but it's really too wet and
still too frozen to do much.

OK, let's see if I can remember to attach the photo this time. I suspect I
did send this last year. Cat's Eye.

Kent

------------------------------

Cat's eye photo was not attached. Please do send it. No, you haven't sent it
before- I'm sure I'd remember that name.

Good day. Painted a bit in the morning, just loosening up exercises. Took
several photos on campus for mural project. Paid bills. Self-portrait- yes
I can get a shot of it, but I'm working on it tonight so I'll send another one
later. It's another dark self portrait again. I went to two friend's shows
tonight. Fidalis' show was FABULOUS! Very impressive, but then he is a grad
student. He was down at Brians' with me last summer. I hope mine will be
anywhere near as good.

I started piano lessons with two new students today. The first one went fine,
great student, eager, bright, cooperative. The next one was his little 10
year old brother, and that was a completely different story. He was quiet on
the red couch while his brother had his lesson, face turned away out the
window, just a little sigh now and then. When the first half hour was up I
dismissed his brother, sent him home. He didn't want to leave, seemed
apprehensive about leaving his brother with me, but I firmly thanked him for
leaving. Cooper, the little brother's name was, and he was not at all happy.
The minute his big brother left he started to puff and blow off steam about
everybody making him do things he didn't wanna do, with his two chubby little
hands waving in the air, round face all red. There weren't no way, he told me,
lokin me right in the eye, he was gonna be bossed by some dumb ol' Royal
Pianer Teacher! He was plump and freckled, husky voice, and his eyes flashed
with fury as he told me, on the verge of tears, chin quivering, he weren't
gonna even sit on that dumb ol stool fer a minute, cause h'e s a trombone
player, d'ya hear? -TROMBONE ALREADY! 'cause trombone only got seven notes
and the pianer has waaaaay too many ...too many.... dumb things to learn about....

And on and on he went... It was priceless, the most delightful thing I've seen
in months. So I let him rant for quite some time, trying to be sympathetic,
and trying mostly just not to laugh, because it really was so sweetly, sadly
funny. I said, "Dont' you think it would be fun to be able to play the piano
well?" "Nope!" and he pursed his lips, looking stright ahead. "Hmm", I
said, "well how about if you could do this?" I slid my thumb all the way down
the keyboard and burst into Boogie woogie, loud and fast, about five bars. I
turned to him and he looked at me for a half a second, then burst out laughing
for an instant, then immediately sour again. "Heck, no." So I had him tell
me about his trombone. After a few minutes of trombone talk, he was teaching
me the arm movements and I was making a fool of myself actually trying to
imitate them. I saw it in his eyes that he was warming up. I talked him off
the couch and up onto the bench, only just, by calling his bluff and acting a
bit meaner than I really felt. To my relief he slid up beside me and after a
few instructions, just started playing. He doesn't exactly have piano hands,
but he took to reading the notes just fine. He might take it up and stick with
it, but I'm not sure. I just know he's a very likeable kid, feisty as can be,
and I have to hand it to him for talking dead straight about how he feels!
As he put his hand on the door to leave he turned and told me his friend
Katty warned him all about how piano teachers operate, with stickers and stuff
- and he is NOT going to fall for any of that.

"I see...No, wait -Stickers, did you say? Sorry -I'm a bit deaf- did you say
stickers, or Snickers?"

A little pause, and he's looking up at me with his mouth a little crooked
almost like he might smile.

"Because your friend is right, you know. Yeah, guess it is kind of cheesy, but
I do do the Snickers thing once in a while." I hadn't really thought of it
myself until just then. This is going to be more fun than I realized.

Oh-speaking of cheesy, I'm attaching a photo I sent to the family website. Me
deciding whether to paint my bookshelves red or sage green. Red won.
Bookshelves another thing I'll be doing tomorrow.

Glad you're home to clean up. It's kind of fun cleaning. I'm detailing my car
tomorrow, with the kids' help. If I lived closer I'd come over and help you
clean. Tomorrow night I have a friend's housewarming party to go to. Next
Saturday, Brian's show up at the U museum, the works I helped him with. Feb
28th, Awards banquet for Accessibility Office at BYU. CEO owner of Jetblu is
keynote. I reserved for me and a guest. Won't be anythng special, but would
you like to come? I could l take Phil or Chloe, but the'yre not too excited
about the idea, and I don't really see why you would be either- long way to
drive for BYU catering, but thought I'd ask. I'll get down your way some time
anyway.......still plan to.

Lisa and I have tickets to Les Mis in March. I saw it in London, and liked it.

Love Melo