Re: Re: Hyb Rebloomers Canada 2007

  • Subject: Re: Re: Hyb Rebloomers Canada 2007
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:57:03 -0600

Thanks for the report on all your rebloomers, Chuck. I was just about to
mention that most of my reblooming iris are hybridized by you. :)

They usually start reblooming in July, but Forever Blue reblooms in both
July and Sept; some years, it's almost ever blooming fr July to Sept.

It's the first year of rebloom here for Wizard of Hope and MDB Forever
Violet. Years ago, I asked Chuck what conditions his reblooming iris liked.
He said they liked to be divided and moved a lot. I compromised on that,
and just pull a rhizome or 2 off the back of a clump either in spring or
July; that's usually the one that reblooms the next spring. None of the 3
beds where the rebloomers are located are protected from wind nor winter;
they get at least 1 ft of snow cover however. Older clumps of these same
varieties that I haven't yet divided have never rebloomed, but they are the
source for the ones that do rebloom.

Forever Blue has been reblooming here since I first got it in 1997. SDB
Autumn Jester usually reblooms in Sept, but not this year; it must need to
be divided, after 3 years in the same spot.

A few years ago, during a very cool rainy spring, MDB Ditto and Bee Wings
rebloomed. This year, MDB Velvet Toy rebloomed at the end of Sept. I'm
trying a piece of Immortality from someone nearby that does get rebloom;
we'll see what happens, hopefully this year.

BJ, hopefully Forever Blue and Blueberry Tart you got from me will rebloom
for you. I pulled them from my reblooming clumps.

I want to set aside a spot just for potential rebloomers, but I always get
sidetracked, alas.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada Z3
MIS, DIS & HIPS Display Garden