HYB: Daylight Independent

  • Subject: HYB: Daylight Independent
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:58:59 -0500

<<There are various biological triggers for flower bloom. >>

Chuck,

For clarification, I'd like to revisit the subject, although it is true that I don't care what we call them so long as they bloom when I want them too!  <humor>  AND . . . I can breed others to do the same.

For several years now, I've been trying to pin down the cause of summer bloom so that I don't send a lot of time breeding things that won't meet my goals.  After 20 something years, I've wrestled most of the concepts into submission.  It's primarily the language that has me buffaloed.

Maybe it's the term "Daylight Independent" that is throwing me.

I've been keeping a temperature journal for over a year.  There is indication that night time temperatures (along with rain/water) may trigger rebloomer here in June, July & August.  Although I'd really prefer early September for my viewing pleasure.

For anyone that might be interested in hybridizing rebloomers--the same rules of gene combining apply as in regular irises, but there are more genes to take into consideration--the rebloom genes.  In addition, rebloom has it's own modifiers and/or triggers.

Basics:  In the new judges handbook it states that there are now 5 types of rebloom.  It further states that the 1) Cyclic Rebloomers are the standard for the rebloom class.  If this is true, many of us will be left out of the rebloom game because they often don't get their act together until it's too late in our colder zones.  For my purposes, these rebloomers are too predictable.  Maybe, if they could be modified to bloom earlier?

When a hard freeze hits KY on or around Oct 15, I lose most of my rebloom.  Not something I'm willing to tolerate IF I have a choice.

For several years, I've been looking for irises that summer (July & August) bloom, not only for me, but in all zones.  When I find an iris, like Romantic Evening or Pure As Gold, that blooms in July in both California and Nebraska, I figure it's worth taking note.

The garden reports that have meant the most in my search are Richards in CA and Jedlicka in Nebraska.  Both listed their rebloom by month.  It's understood their seasons would both be different than mine but the early rebloom is my focus.

3) Repeaters . . . this class seems (to me) to mature late rhizomes (not full grown in the spring) and then bloom when mature.  There is another trigger involved, perhaps one that regulates rhizome growth, because they all bloom at approximately 6 weeks after the first rhizomes in the clump finish bloom.  (Summer Radiance made such a display in early July one year that all the neighbors congregated. )

Classifications 2) Multiple Blooming Irises & 4)Sporadic Rebloomers appear to me to be the same, with #2 having stronger triggers.

Classification #2 contains the irises I'd thought to be Daylight Independent.  These irises bloom at any time they choose throughout the summer and fall, from spring freeze to hard fall freeze.  These irises do NOT need short daylight days (fall) to rebloom

Chuck, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that these multiple rebloomers are all REPEATS?  They have a different trigger/modifier for rhizome growth?  There is a distinct difference in the "timing" of stalk release in the two groups.

5) Secondary Stalk Rebloomers (according to the NEW judges manual), although rare, occur when rhizomes send up secondary stalks in the same growing season.  I'd thought these to be early REPEATERS.

In summation, we MAY have two classes of rebloomers: 1) cycle and 2) sporadic with different triggers?

Again, I speak of TB's only.

Betty Wilkerson/south central KY/Zone 6--My brain still scrambles on the words Allele and Gamete, (I think it's an allergy) but I'm getting much of the rest.