Re: Hyb: Daylight Independent

  • Subject: Re: Hyb: Daylight Independent
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:41:48 -0500

Lotic,
Of your crosses with Forever Blue, I would watch the crosses with Cry
Baby, Eternal Bliss and Breakers for first generation rebloom, but I
would look for late Fall rebloom rather then the Daylight Independent
typoe.

For the other crosses I would select the strongest growers and hardiest
plants for a second generation cross.

FB will rebloom for almost the entire growing season, every day, and
has done so a number of years for me. It starts here usually May 15th
and is usually the first of the SDBto bloom. It then stays in bloom
until near the end of June, just when the TBs are finishing. It then
usually takes a break for a week and then starts up again.
Exceptionally hot and dry weather will disrupt this performance. It
does this best if divided every two years. After that it's phenomenal
increase will crowd it too much.

Immortality blooms here near the end of May, one of the first TB to
bloom. Rebloom is usually mid to late August, which seems to be a
reflection of daylight hours (around summer soltice) that is the same
as spring bloom. A much different pattern then what I get with Forever
Blue. And many trials tell me it is a different biological trigger for
rebloom then what we get with the sort of summer rebloom that doesn't
start until much later. A similar rebloom (as what we get with FB)
would mean a rebloom starting a week or two after the spring rebloom
finishes. We just don't get anything like this with any TB. A different
biological trigger.

To get more rebloomers like Immortality and Queen Dorothy, you would
select for early spring bloom. Keep track of the earliest bloomers (
that rebloom or carry rebloom genes) and breed these to each other.
The same would seem to apply to the FB type of rebloomers but it
doesn't seem to be as necessary as some of them are a bit later with
their spring bloom.

Chuck Chapman