Re: HYB: Wearing Rubies Seedling 2

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Wearing Rubies Seedling 2
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 06:34:53 -0500

Margie,

I know what you mean about introducing "look alikes."  There seem to be so many children of famous irises that appear to be no different or no better than the original.  Some look much worse, to my eye.

I do think there is a  market for such an iris that grows better or has increased bud count etc., but the hybridizer would need to make a big deal of the added value (advertise it) for people to know the difference.

This seedling would be of particular interest to me, but no more so than the first one you showed which looks a great deal like Cordoba.  Cordoba grows really well for me where as Wearing Rubies is living in a pot right now because the first one died in one of the beds.  In addition, both can rebloom in warm climates.

I would love to have a "look alike" of either one of these irises should it rebloom in my climate.  I'd even take one in a cycle rebloomer!

I'll have seedlings bloom from Cordoba this spring.  Healthy looking the last time I was out to the beds.

I like seeing what Wearing Rubies does when crossed to different irises.

I'll watch it this second year to see if it possibly might perform better than the 'real' Wearing Rubies. :-)  But even if it does - - who would care?? I almost through it out last spring for that reason alone.