Re: CULT: what are they doing?

  • Subject: Re: CULT: what are they doing?
  • From: T Toney <angorabuns@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:57:10 -0800 (PST)

Try asking some questions here.
Many beekeepers here.

--- On Sun, 2/15/09, Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
Subject: [iris-photos] CULT: what are they doing?
To: iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009, 1:29 PM

I think these are honey bees that are swarming the seedling pots.  (Top
photo is pot in lower right corner of 2nd photo - but there are several
hundred bees crawling over the pots.)  What are they doing?  I don't think
it's just  looking for water unless they prefer to gather it out of damp
sand.  They have simply been swarming the top of the pots, scratching up the
surface of the sand.  I don't think they're damaging any seedlings.  At

least some have come up during all the activity and aren't damaged.  I used

to not have bees like this much at all, but a couple of years ago a wild
hive established in a hollow oak tree and they've become a bigger presence
more every year.  It's not really all that warm today, but still
they're out
in great numbers.  I understand why they swarm the recycle container with
crushed beer and soda cans, but what's in these pots?  They prefer those
topped with a sand layer.  I just have to be careful and keep my mouth
closed.  One dive bombed straight into my throat a few weeks ago.  Too deep
to spit out and he stung at the swallowing point.  At least I was certain
what kind of bug caused the sore throat.  Since the bug is still going
around, I just have to be careful and keep my mouth shut.  Not easy.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Statements made on and attachments (including but not limited to photographs of
irises or people) sent to this list are the sole responsibility of the
the control of the moderator of this list. Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)