Photos: color...illusion or reality?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Photos: color...illusion or reality?
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:30:30 EST

Hello all,

    I have been enjoying the discussions on what color an iris really is or what it appears to be in different gardens.  A lot depends, too, on the angle of perception, or viewing, as well as monitors, time of day the photo was taken, the angle of the sun as well as the angle the viewer is looking from.  There are two photos below here.  The first is of a seedling of mine that is a cross of (I. stolonifera X I. stolonifera).  The iris definitely appears to have a burgundy or maroon signal below the beard.  However, I. stolonifera has no signals.  The camera was held above the flower (I was standing, looking down).  This seedling has an electric flush on the falls.  However, when I knelt down to look at the blossom at eye level, the "signal" disappeared.  The second photo is for comparison, a seedling out of intercrosses of several I. stolonifera clones crossed with I. korolkowii.  This second seedling has a true signal.

Elm