HYB: February Surprise
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:42:49 -0800 (PST)

I had wanted to repeat the cross that gave CLOWN PANTS (Iris variegata (Beardsley clone) X Iris suaveolens var. mellita) but didn't have Iris suaveolens var. mellita anymore. I did have the very similar Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata, so... I currently have four seedlings from the cross Iris variegata (Beardsley clone) X Iris suaveolens var. rubromarginata that germinated Spring 2009 indoors under lights. I never got these planted outside, so they're still in the basement. Two of the bigger seedlings have each got two increase fans started. And now one of those bigger seedlings also has a flower bud emerging from the original fan.

For the bloom/rebloom trigger crowd... these seedlings have been under a relatively stable temperature and lighting regimen. The basement stays around 65 degrees Fahrenheit year round and the shoplights are timed to come on at 7AM and turn off at 10PM. I do occasionally go downstairs after 10 o'clock to water and have to turn the lights on manually. I'm know that some of these times I've probably forgotten to turn the lights back off. So, there could have been an occasional REALLY long day of lighting.

I'll post more as this flower opens.

image/pjpeg