Re: HYB: February Surprise
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:13:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi Bill,
Yeah, thankfully I've been getting a lot of good surprises like this lately. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up the out of the ordinary bloom postings ;0).
And even though it's indoor bloom, I'll take whatever bloom I can get!
The most exciting thing for me about these seedlings (you've probably already guessed) is that they would be analogous to CLOWN PANTS which means they've got potential to produce reblooming offspring. I'm thinking that this indoor bloom may be a hint at that potential.

As for growing media and fertilizer program... I have to laugh a little, because I'm not very sophisticated about those things. What you see in the picture is a 1/4 inch layer of play sand I use on top of all pots to reduce the fungus gnat population. That's been working pretty well actually. Underneath... I pot everything (in gallon milk jug bottoms) in regular Miracle-Gro potting soil and RARELY use any extra fertilizer. However, it's funny that you just asked because I had just soaked everything including those seedlings with a dilute fish emulsion solution - pee-uuuw! I usually only do that when things look like they're suffering, but figured it was about time to be kind to all the indoor plants. So, until two days ago, I hadn't ever fertilized those seedlings in the picture. I've heard some people put down Miracle-Gro potting soil, but it's been working pretty well for me and it's been relatively easy to find.
Take care, Tom

Bill Chaney wrote:

Hi Thomas,

We can always count on you for some bloom photos when there shouldn't be bloom. It's great. I am curious about your potting medium and fertility program for potted iris. Care to share?

Bill