Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:12:08 -0500

When an iris plant reaches maturity, it will stop producing new leaves, allthough the leaves that are there  will continue to increase in size for awhile.

A secondary factor can be  the increases. Usually the increases don't start to grow until  the mother plant has shifted into producing a flower stalk.

Ther seems to be a type of (re)bloom, that I call "facilitative  vernalization".  This occurrs when a plant doesn't absolutly need vernalization to bloom. The plant will initiate bloom after an extended time at maturity at a temperatire that facilitates growth.

Chuck Chapman