Re: Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:30:15 -0500

The final leaf or two leaves don't grow until flower bud growth starts. Thus the two immature leaves. One of these is the leaf  that is located on lower part of flower stalk, when flower stalk is mature.  This lower leaf is not a flower spath, but a leaf, that is located on stalk and smaller then the other leaves.

>From what I have observed the new increase remain very small, and only starts to grow after  flower bud initiation has occurred.The growing point (apical meristem) inhibits growth of increase until it changes state, from a leaf meristen to a flower meristem.

Chuck Chapman