Re: Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: HYB: February Surprise
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:11:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chuck and Donald,

Chuck wrote: "From what I have observed the new increase remain very small, and only starts to grow after flower bud initiation has occurred.The growing point (apical meristem) inhibits growth of increase until it changes state, from a leaf meristen to a flower meristem."

It does appear that the flowering of that central fan has kicked the increase fans into faster growth. I noticed there are actually three not just two like I'd mentioned before. But the one sister seedling has almost equally as well-developed increase fans (2 of them) but doesn't show any sign of wanting to bloom yet. Do you think that there might be a flower bud (or stalk) already developed in the sister seedling that just hasn't decided it's time to elongate yet?

Donald wrote: "I have a seedling that should be a balanced amphidipoid AB that has exhibited odd bloom habits. It first tried to bloom in the heat of summer. Huge bud that never got out of the fan... Then shortly after the bud dried up there came an increase. That new fan then proceeded to repeat the process of the first one within two months, so a fall attempt to bloom. That's quick for new increase. Again I thought it would be a bloomout, but two new fans appeared. Late in the spring season one of those attempted to bloom again. Never got out of the fan enough to open... I'm thinking there's something wrong genetically and that it won't ever straighten out and bloom properly or timely."

I sure hope that this seedling of mine doesn't behave like your AB seedling. It does sound like there might be something wrong with that one. I hope it surprises you though by straightening out. I've heard of hybrids behaving badly until they've had a little time to settle down, so hopefully that'll be the case with these two.

Best wishes, Tom