Re: Re: CULT: year round food
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: CULT: year round food
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 00:36:08 -0800 (PST)

Donald,

In July of 2009 the rabbits attacked my irises!  They ate the leaves off about 700 iris clumps in two nights.  They ate, on most of the fans, only about 1-2 inches just above the rhizome and left the leaves lying on the ground.  You can see the leaves lying on the ground a few days later after they have dried in the sun.  You can see the rabbit fence I put up two days after the attack began.  I lost about 70% of the irises that they ate.  They did not damage the rhizomes but because it was the beginning of July our hot dry summer didn't let much grow back.  I did water but it didn't help much.  I managed to save about 30%.

 I Used 30" tall rabbit fencing and created 2 large bed areas (2 are 50x100' and 1 is 25x50) and I have had no more damage within the fences.  The rabbits are still eating any irises outside of the fences.  However, they do not touch the spurias, Louisianas, or tectorium.  I have been planting more and more spurias.  Rabbit fence would allow voles, rats, etc. to go right through.  It is not designed to keep them out, only rabbits and larger.   I have never seen or heard of voles in our area of the San Fernando Valley.

Good luck with your problem.

Jan in Chatsworth