Re: CULT: cotton rat
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT: cotton rat
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:12:11 -0000

---
> Well, Donald, Texas has a seemingly endless smorgasbord of rodents from which to choose.

Griff, you know I can't respond to that statement. Politics and social commentary aren't allowed on the list! :)

The link is pretty useful. By looking at the drawings, I'd say the cotton rat is the most likely varmint based on the appearance. Though some vole photos fit pretty well also. Karl's suggestion of using flour was a good one. I didn't do that, but the snow cover we've endured all week worked pretty well. I can absolve the cottontails. Their tracks were around in the snow, but the tracks around newly eaten iris foliage weren't theirs. Not as deep and clearly had toes. Not rounded enough to be squirrels, either. Apparently they would occasionally roll in the snow leaving shallow depressions. Some kind of rat, for sure.

Donald