Re:REB: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re:REB: what the.. Cricket Song surprise...
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:45:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Betty,
Yes, thanks! I did mention to Greg that you'd had rebloom in Kentucky, but I didn't realize that you'd gotten two full stalks before the freezes. That's great to know! I hope it continues that way for you.
Hi Linda,
Actually 2009 was really a great year for 'Cricket Song' in particular, but I don't think I'd say it would be the norm. All of the other years, it's usually been just reliable late-ish Fall rebloom for both of them, although there might have been a couple of odd stalks out of those seasons. And if I had to choose one right now (for better chance of summer bloom) I'd probably have to say 'Cricket Song' but... in all fairness, 'Easy Smile' has been half-smothered all along, by neighboring daylilies and a pretty dense Rosa glutinosa bush. So it hasn't had as much sunshine as 'Cricket Song'. So it's never been quite as happy.
Greg says he hasn't seen any rebloom at all there yet on 'Cricket Song', so maybe frosts come earlier there???
I'll have to work on breeding these lines for earlier Fall rebloom and/or Summer bloom.
Here's a picture of 'Cricket Song' here today - still pretty much dormant even though temperatures are unusually mild.
Tom
Tom, if you're reporting to Iris City Gardens, don't forget to report
that it rebloomed for me last fall--two stalks made full bloom and a
third got frozen.

Betty Wilkerson
& of course, what I'm hoping for is the kind of summer bloom Tom has
posted here - 5/4, 6/6, 6/23, 7/1-7/21, 10/30 etc in 2009, according to
posts in the archives. Similar in subsequent years.

Tom, which is the better/most reliable hot weather bloomer for you,
CRICKET SONG or EASY SMILE?

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7