Re: HYB: Purple foliage traits
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Purple foliage traits
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 05:10:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Janet,
Well... funny that you ask... I've learned recently that I'm probably not the best person to ask about color nuances. LOL
I don't think I'm so much colorblind, but my wife will assure you that I'm missing out on being able to distinguish some subtle color differences.
I remember when we were deciding on shutter colors, looking at lots of charcoal colored shutters that to her were "blue" or "green" or "purple" tinted. I couldn't really see the differences.
But the "Aha" moment for me had to be when she was talking about a "green sofa" one day and to me it was just a medium grey (if it were a paint color I'd have used it for an elephant). I didn't believe that it actually was green until we walked over and the price tag had some fancy name of green right on it.
So... I'll do the best I can to answer your question but just realize that I'm a little "challenged" in that area. ;0)
To me... the "purple" of purple based foliage (PBF) irises in general usually tends to look more reddish-purple than purple. But when that pigment is overlaid on a green part of the leaf, it even sometimes looks sort of blackish. Down on the white part near the rhizome and on the sort of clear edges of the leaves, the color looks brighter.
I'm seeing this particular one as a winey reddish-purple. I'm guessing that deep raspberry would be that same color, right?
Thanks for your interest (and the chuckle)!
Tom

Mr Silvers,

Is that pencil edge purple or a deep raspberry? Perhaps my computer monitor is distorting the color which looks more deep raspberry than purple. Your seedlings and a variegated leaf - oh my!

Thank you for the photos,

Janet Smith
California Zone 7