Re: HYB: Luminosity & BC
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Luminosity & BC
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:51:24 -0500 (EST)

I went and looked up your photo. What you have there is what is called
a point mutation. These are wedges of a difference colour. sometimes
even half a flower on several flowers on same stalk.

These are random. Has nothing to do with any past genetics. They
usually are downstream of the ovary, so can't be passed on via seeds.
The one that involve ovary (such as those involving about half the
flower, and originating in center of flower) can possibly be caught
in seeds. But each sector will produce genetics from that section.
That is not a genetic disposition to variable colour.

Random mutations occur about 1 in 10 to -5 or 10 to -9 cells. Or about
once in a 100,00 to a billion. When you consider the number of cells
in a flower, it works out to be not that rare. I usually get about
10-20 per year in my garden. I take photos of all the interesting ones
and keep a separate file folder of them.

They have nothing to do with broken colour flowers.

The number of these point mutations in plicatas involving Ae (enhanced
anthocyanin) and "I" is seems to be quite a bit higher.

Chuck Chapman