Re: HYB: Luminosity & BC
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Luminosity & BC
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:29:11 -0000

>Chuck Chapman <irischapman@...> wrote:
>
> Over 95% of all BC iris involve plicata X plicata with BC. Vanity,
> which is way back in parentage seems to be 1/2 to 3/4 plicata. so it
> could have some plciata genes.
>
> Randomly putting pollen from BC on a "not plicata" will give you a
> slim to non chance of producing a BC.

I wonder if the BC isn't stronger somehow, though. Using BC and plic as pod parents using AB pollen has given some BC pattern on 100% of the BC parent offspring. Using the plic parent has given some BC patterns as well, but has never given a hint of a straightforward plic pattern in the results. There are not huge numbers of seedlings here, but there have been more plic parent seedlings grown than those using a BC parent. Presumably the TB chromosomes are pairing with the TB material from the AB parent. I wouldn't have expected so many to have shown the broken color pattern. Mary Lou should give it a try and see :). Nice looking seedling to work with.

Donald Eaves
donald@txol.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA