Re: Encoded

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Slc.Dennis Bishop wrote:

>  All files that are sent over the net are encoded, yes even these
> messages, for the messages, the list sever handles it all and as
> they are letters already you never notice it. But anyother file
> is encoded, that is, every bit of data is turned into a letter
> and the whole thing is transmitted looking like a massive file of
> unreadable letters. Now, if it is the mime base64 encoding, then
> your mircosoft software should be able to decode it. If the
> encoding used is UUENCODE then you will most likly need the extra
> files that runs under windoz that can decode them. Most of the
> ibm/microsoft clones use the base64 encoding by default (The
> Fault of bill gates), You most likly have seen the photos I send
> out, and because I use an Atari TT/030 my default is the FTP
> standed of UUECODE. BTW, I have the files that I can send to you
> that allows you to handle UUENCODE files.

That is a good esplanation Dennis, and uuencode may be the standard for the
FTP process but that is not what we are using for iris-photos and nor is it
the standard for web browsing and email attachments.

The standard for iris-photos is MIME base64 for the convenience of the
predominance of our users.

JPEG is the best file format to use (this is different than the encoding method)

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

To reply to me personally click on