Re: I. schachtii 2

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
>>Jan, those photos are gorgeous.  What kind of camera/film/etc. did you use
>>for them?
>I'm using a Pentax camera (cheapest available) with a Sigma lens. It has a
>UV filter (to pretect the lens apparently) and a +1 magnification lens,
>which seems just enough to get a nice close up.
>I set the camera on the little picture of a flower. As you can see, I am
>completely camera illiterate.

I have a Pentax IQ-Zoom camera.  It doesn't have interchangeable lenses and
it's not good for close-ups of individual flowers.  However it's a really
good camera for other stuff (panoramic shots, landscapes, pictures of
people, etc.).  My digital camera does a so-so job for "macro mode" shots
of flowers...but it's very difficult to focus.  It's autofocus, but it
doesn't work real well, so I have to go through all kinds of gyrations to
get a crisp clear shot.

>One thing puzzles me...your dirt doesn't look red enough.
>>What's up with that?
>Ah Dennis, time to get the atlas out, I live in central Victoria, not
>Central Australia.  About 20miles south of here (Daylesford), the soil is
>quite red, and good potato country. I bet they could grow irises there. Our
>natural 'soil' is more yellowy, clay coloured, but my introduced garden soil
>is a mix of sand, rotted animal manure, rice hulls, and compost. The irises
>seem to like it.

Actually, what made me comment on your soil color was that when I posted
photos of my irises back in April/May/June, you commented on how brown my
soil was.  So somehow I expected yours to be rather red.

>I'll be sending a few more photos in the next few days. I've been saving
>them up!
>Cheers, Jan

Oooh, tantalizing!  Do you have photos of any PCIs?  I love the PCI flowers
I've seen, but unfortunately don't get to see enough of them.  I have 3
seedlings about a year old now, and they actually started increasing during
the last month.  I will be thrilled if they actually bloom for me.  One of
them even has PBF.  I think the tallest one is about 3", if you can believe

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com