Re: Re: Jane Phillips

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Mike writes:
>The Jane you posted is perhaps a bit too long in the tooth for 50s

Thanks for this info Mike. I can see that my iris is misnamed, and that is
disappointing, because I will have to break it to the donor, who I have
always considered a good source. Problem is that a lot of these have gone
through many hands, and mistakes are almost inevitable.

>Your iris is extremely evocative of Essig's line of blues...and most
>closely resembles California Blue (Essig 1929). It was (is) VERY tall
>and has excellent substance for an iris of its era, all of which fit
>in with your description of the JP that you grow.

I don't want to change it's name under false pretences, so will look into
this thoroughly.
I guess you are very busy Mike, but if you get a chance could you take a
look at the photos of HELEN COLLINGWOOD, ELIZABETH NOBLE, and WABASH, and
let me know your honest opinion?
The first two come from a source who has grown a 'colony' of some 40 cv's in
isolation, and imported them from the U.S. originally. So I feel this is a
good source, except that he only knows their names when they bloom!
My 'WABASH' came from an elderly iris society member, who I am sure beleives
she has the correct plant, but any mistake would predate her acquisition of
the rz, seeing as there has been so much difficulty with this cv.
Thanks for taking the time.
Cheers, Jan Clark