[PHOTO] Re: 'WABASH' - perhaps not? Jane Philips - perhaps too not. | Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:22:04" />

[PHOTO] Re: 'WABASH' - perhaps not? Jane Philips - perhaps too not.

From: "Edmundas Kondratas" <stogutis@kaunas.omnitel.net>

I grow thrue Wabash more than 30 years, but sorry have no one good pic of
only group slide. Your photo is not good for identification. The best is to
have front and top views. I have some doubt is your real Wabash. One sign
for Wabash which I have observed
along the years is that on the stem at once is flowering one flower,
sometimes two, but next on longer branch in lower part of stem. So flowering
season is quite good. In the uper
part of stem the flowers are sitting on short branches. Stems are tall about
110-120cm. Wabash is one of best frost resistant TB's. It can endure cold
until -30C /-22F/. Growing so long time at me it newer showed even in poor
conditions tendence to look like MTB. It is best grower. Note that our
climate is much cooler then in USA. I have never observed also such ruffles
on it like in your photo. It's falls are beautifuly waved and my doubt is
based on the character of white rim on the falls. It have wider rim of
constant wideness almost around all fall's edge.
I acept Mike's conclusion your Jane Philips is not thrue. Many years ago I
had this one and it looked like that on photo Mike have sent. I add my and
you can see our is identic. Your PCI are wonderful. Once here in Lithuania I
began to grow californians and had some in bloom, but one very moist winter
killed them. Now I have seeds and this spring start with new portion.

Edmundas Kondratas
Kaunas, Lithuania,  zone 5.