Re:Jane Philips - perhaps too not.

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Mike wrote:
>Your iris is extremely evocative of Essig's line of blues...and most
>closely resembles California Blue (Essig 1929). It was (is) VERY tall and
>has excellent substance for an iris of its era, all of which fit in with
>your description of the JP that you grow.

That's a little earlier than you suggest, but much the same time. I wouldn't
quite know where to start, but will pour through what books I have available
for photos, and hope perhaps a few people will come up with comparative
photo's on the net.
My idea of detective work was to go to the source, and see if she has any
ideas where it came from, and thus what it might be. My feeling is that
comparatively few irises of that era will have been imported to Australia,
and probably, but not necessarily, the more popular ones. Of course names
could have been switched way back then. Some of the most popular commercial
sources in Australia sell their irises under the wrong cv names.

>For illustration I send you pic of PARTHENON, Connel, 1934, USA, HM-36,
>white with blue shade,  the form of wich is somewhat close to your plant.

This photo came out looking like a night sky Edmundas. Perhaps another try?
Cheers, Jan