BIG TIME Dropping the Ball

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

The online iris Mailing Lists: iris-talk, lairis, sibrob and
iris-photos; are superb vehicles for information -- except in one
area, WE ARE TERRIBLE!

I am speaking of getting the word out when one of us is doing a talk,
program, lecture, training and so on.

Case in point -- Clarence Mahan was in Richmond, Virginia on the 15th
of January and gave a program, 'Future Breeding Trends in Iris
Culture.' Mike and Anne Lowe were in Ontario, California on the 8th
of January and gave two programs, 'Development of Form and Color in
Bearded Iris' and 'Identification and Judging Older Iris on the Show
Bench.'

Not a peep, squeak, or hint of any of this passed on any of the iris
related lists!

A BIGGIE is forthcoming -- 'The Pollen Daubers Conference.' Here is
the ONLY thing I have seen on it:

> >Got no responses about the OKC Pollendaubers, but finally got Perry Dyer
> >on the telly late tonight and got the scoop...
> >
> > Thanks anyway...

What are we thinking of!!! Why the big silence on events such as the
above??!!! Don't we 'do,' 'eat,' 'sleep,' and 'love!' IRIS? Why in
the H..L do we keep so silent when an interesting meeting concerning
iris is scheduled? Do the people who belong to iris societies want to
keep it to themselves? Do we want to keep it in 'our comfortable
little group'? Are we so bloody shy we can't stand crowds?!

Don't depend on the people doing the show, meeting, training, to
spread the word! I let slip developing a brand new program until I
was in 'extremis' -- a week to go and not one bit in the can. All I
did was swot, not a thought to getting the word out. I spoke to
Clarence Mahan two days before he was due to come to Richmond and he
was in a panic -- he had let the crafting of the program go until he
would have to do a couple of 'all-nighters.' But, the crime is, those
of us with knowledge of the coming events, KEEP OUR OTHERWISE BIG
MOUTHS SHUT!!!

We need to do better, folks! We need to advertise, proselytize,
recruit, bring a friend -- shout the good news from the roof tops --
drum up attendees on ALL the iris Mailing Lists!!!

A guilty Mike Lowe who has vowed to 'Do Better' in future.

Sign up for eLerts at: