Re: Re: rebloomer MTB

Hi Foley,

I'm glad you have become involved with iris. Great garden subjects!
I know there are quite a few of newer iris growers who aren't familiar
with chromosome counts. I wasn't thinking and I apologize. Today's
modern Tall Bearded iris, and I am going back 40 + years, are nearly all
48 chromosome. They are refereed to as tetraploids. Tetraploid TB's
carry 4 sets of 12 chromosomes, hence the 48 count.  By far the iris
which are in the median classification i.e. Intermediate, Miniature tall
bearded, and standard dwarf bearded iris tend to be anywhere from 24 C
(diploid) to 44 C in count. Pumila (species behind most SDB's) is a 32 C
tetraploid as it contains 4 sets of 8 C's each.

Hope I haven't confused you more.

We have specialized in miniaturizing the modern TB's while maintaining
48 C in the small iris. Some species I. aphylla have clones with 48 C
yet are quite small. They also tend to be very fertile with the TB's
which in turn allowed us to get seedlings that are quite fertile.
Several are both pod and pollen fertile others are either pod or pollen
fertile.

Vicki