[PHOTO] re: name tags | Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:42:35" />

[PHOTO] re: name tags

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] re: name tags
  • From: Pat Mitchell corgilover@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:27:19 -0600

nmogens  wrote:
> Pat,  a question.  How are you making your nametags?  That looks like
> about 10 guage wire and a piece of zinc.  Did you make it yourself?
> Or buy it?  And what did you write with?

They are homemade - pretty much on an "as-needed" basis.  The
stand/pole/wire )whatever you call it) is either copper or steel wire
(whatever I have on hand).  I make copper garden sculptures, so
sometimes I have extra wire on hand from those.  Otherwise, my
father-in-law works at a foundry and brings me all the 6 to 10 gauge
steel wire I want.  The zinc name plates come from Paw Paw Everlast
(http://www.everlastlabel.com/catalog.htm).  They are called tie-on
labels. 100 for $17.10-plus shipping.  I love them.

I tried marking with all sort of different things including sharpies,
plain #2 pencils, etc.  My best, most long lasting results have come
from a soft, very black, pastel or chalk pencil from the art supply
store (it's buried in my gardening bin outside so I can't give you the
name).  It's like a colored pencil, but it's a relatively soft and
very black.  It's easily sharpened and lasts forever.  I'm sure asking
at an art supply store would point you in the right direction.  I
THINK it was made by Berol.

The only other thing I'll mention is the way the labels are attached
to the stem.  I prefer the curlicue (1st picture) rather than the
hooked on (2nd picture).  There is much less chance of the labels
blowing off in the wind with the curlicue method.

Hope this helps!

--
Pat Mitchell
corgilover@wi.rr.com