Re: Re: Peach Spot

In a message dated 1/3/2004 9:31:22 AM Central Standard Time, neilm@charter.net writes:

In any event, what Barry had to say may be very worth while in view of your objectives.  I've heard it often said--"Build on the successes of the past."

This is an attitude that seems to permeate the thinking of great hybridizers regardless of the species with which they work. Pat Stamile (winner of several Stout medals) in the daylily world said (with much humility) that we stand on the backs of others who have gone before us. Just one more reason good hybridizers are heroes here.

Whether one chooses the path of least resistance (intuitive crosses) or knowledge based (plotted crosses) high numbers of seedlings are necessary with the plotted crosses in theory requiring less to reach a predetermined objective.

Both methods have a high level of unpredictable outcome with plotted or planned crosses having less. Perhaps though, intuitive crosses because of their less predictable outcomes seem to have an equal or greater probability of producing uniqueness-true hybridizing breaks. Too, intuitive crosses allow unfettered pursuit of improved overall plant habit and performance. Most of us come around to a method that involves a hybrid of the two approaches leaning more toward one than the other as we use the bits of knowledge we accumulate proceeding from bloom season to bloom season. Further development of anything good that results from either method requires good record keeping.

Beauty like "good" as it relates to flowers is a subjective quality. This makes it unlikely that from the number of possible outcomes of a given cross any two hybridizers would select the same plant unless the quality being evaluated was narrowed to a single minute feature. Even then an argument between the two is a given.

Regardless of method or outcome objective, it is doubtful any great financial success will result for most of us playing in the game. Viewed in the light of other rewards though, the success is immeasurable. The greatest of these for me is the sense of awe I experience each time I stare into a bloom never seen by eyes other than mine ... and as I look at tan seeds collected and shelled only this day, no small measure of reward has already been extracted. Anticipation. Hope. Wonder. A piece of a puzzle that may lead to an answer to a question I did or did not ask and likely another question.

I do not recall being disappointed by an iris bloom or having had my ego damaged by one. I am often confused and routinely have my confidence in what I thought I had learned shaken with nearly every new bloom..... all of this combines to just create greater awe. I love the circle.

Smiles,
Bill Burleson

Yahoo! Groups Links