Re: TB: Thornbird X

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] TB: Thornbird X
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:33:12 -0500

In a message dated 1/9/2004 2:21:14 PM Central Standard Time, iris@syix.com writes:
Neil..........the one that you saw is called Solar Fire and the increase on mine looks great!!......so glad that I ordered it.................Bonnie

Rita Gormley adds:
I bought two SOLAR FIRE last year ...Wonderful increase and saw it in several Convention gardens in VA!  Dynamite!--Rita Gormley
Neil responds:  Rita and Bonnie,  I couldn't resist.  I placed an order for Solar Fire when I saw it.  I hadn't ordered from Superstition Iris Gardens before (I'm only in my fifth year back into irises after a twenty-some year "vacation."  I have heard so many good things about Rick and Roger and the quality of stock they send out that I thought it was time to take the plunge.  Tasco's DREAM EXPRESS is one I particularly want to use with my own red-purple-to-rose-and-lilac venture--for its ruffling and for the other good qualities contributing to its awards.  While at it I looked over the current 2004 introductions and a few from earlier years.

I have known Keith Keppel for over forty years and owe him a huge debt of gratitude for helping me get started again.  Not only did he make the effort to find out where I was living, but he encouraged me to get rolling again.   I came back into the iris world with seven generations of iris having gone by--I was totally lost.  Keith let me make a "Dealer's Choice" kind of arrangement for a couple years just to get me started with some good breeding stock.  I didn't realize just *how* good they were until I started blooming seedlings.  I was stunned with what I was getting.

Now, since I've spent the past five years digging into pedigrees, reading a lot of catch-up materials, listening to what people are saying on Iris-talk, Iris-photos and so on, I'm beginning to get the "feel" of what is going on and have made substantial strides in connecting up what's what now with what I left behind when I left Idaho and all my iris involvements, resigning as RVP of the region, folding up our farming operations and letting all the irises go and all my memberships in the various societies lapse.  I never expected to grow these marvelous things again.

Now I'm wishing I had a couple acres of fertile, sun-filled, rock, ant and mole free ground to plant in.  Sigh.  If wishes were horses.......

Neil Mogensen

Yahoo! Groups Links