Re: latitude and elevation

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: latitude and elevation
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:22:02 -0500

Colleen, that's curious about latitude and elevation.  We are about 36 degrees N, elevation 700 m. or so--with a climate sometimes having some similarity to yours, but classed as "Humid Continental,"  as we miss being Mediterranean due to cold air masses moving diagonally down from Canada during our winter, then sliding down along both sides of the Appalachians.  We will drop down into the teens (F.) several times during the winter and early springs when this happens, and once in a while to single digits, with below zero in extreme years--maybe once in several decades.
SW of us by a mere forty or fifty miles is a rather large area on the west side of the mountains that has an Oregon/(Tasmania/) type climate--"Marine West Coast"--with awesome rhododendrons--thanks to onshore flow of Gulf air masses.  The Arctic air masses don't usually affect that area much.  I suspect the PCN's could be grown there fairly readily even.
Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC

Yahoo! Groups Links