Re: blue bearded combinations....

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] blue bearded combinations....
  • From: Jelcy Romberg <jelcy@jelcy.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:42:11 -0600

Your twins are just lovely.  It was worth your  while to save this seedling, I think.  I would hope that it will prove itself to be a rebloomer.

J. Paul Hill wrote:
This seedling is 9709-2C. It was from a cross where all the seedlings bloomed in the first year except for this one .  Many hybridizers have said that if something doesn't bloom the first year they take it out to make room for new seedlings...Nothing really great came out of the cross in about the forty or so seedlings that bloomed.  I was tempted to toss the one that didn't bloom, but my curiosity got the better of me.  Despite the fact that my garden in VERY small, I kept it and I'm glad I did.  Not only do I like the color combination, but I love the colors of the beard  AND it actually sent up three rebloom stalks this year!  (Something it has not done up till now.)  It is great with growth and sends up lots of blooms.  It is 14'' tall and blooms early to mid in the SDB season.  It has one branch and three buds per stalk.  I would not call it a rebloomer, Yet anyway....but it has me wondering....
I used it in a cross the first year it bloomed and got some of the most unusual seedlings for color that I've gotten yet.  (I didn't say they were worth keeping, just unusual)  But I did keep some and I have my eye on them.  The origonal cross was (Chanted x Fairy Lore) and my goal is to work for a reblooming pink plicata with a blue beard.  'Fairy Lore' would rebloom for me on occasion and it seems it has passed a little of that on.....
I made LOTS of crosses based on the success of that first cross and hope to have many new things to show for it this spring.....Hope you like it.