Re: HYB: sdlng blue spot

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: sdlng blue spot
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:34:51 -0700

I'm fascinated with your seedling. I like that fog-like blue "spot".  It almost looks as if there is some arilbred breeding behind it - there may not be - it just looks as if there is.   I don't recall ever reading that you also grow arilbreds - do you?
You know Linda - - it couldn't hurt crossing your seedling with a dark blue Plicata.  I think if it had more purple tones in it, than Blue - - it would defeat your purpose.  So - I'd try to get as close to a true dk. blue plicata as I could.  Blue Staccatto comes to mind (Gibson 76, a nice 40" tall, and a good grower (at least in this neck of the states). Blooms EM.)   I'd then take some of the most promising sibs and self them, and/or sibling cross them.  You'll never know till you try it.
Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9