Re: Re: Iris ignominy

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: Iris ignominy
  • From: Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:46:23 -0800 (PST)

Everyone seems to read more into what I have said than what I have really said. Individual e-mail postings are those individuals own buisiness. I can only assume that since most postings are done presently in the AIS convention it is simply a matter of each individual following the lead of the organization. We get into a habit and do what we see being done around us. I am simply trying to find out how people would feel about doing this correctly. Within the Iris society at the moment I am the maverick and everyone else is following the current culture of the group. But AIS is a very small part of the world plant community. The conventions that argue these matters often have up to 10,000 participants representing hundreds of societies and horticultural groups. They arrive at these standards to aid in communication worldwide. AIS I believe has sent the registrar at least one of these conventions in the past and I am sure they were allowed to make proposals. I believe this contrivance was arrived at about 40 years ago and most of the horticultural world finds it very acceptable. When we use a different construct we are somewhat off-putting to other plant people who might be curious about Iris. I believe this should be brought to the board of AIS now that our registration procedures are in flux with a new registrar. Believe me no one is going to revise something that has already been printed just to satisfy this idea. Talk like that is silly and a red herring. But while new procedures are being put into place it seems worthwhile to improve them.

Catherine Button <cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com> wrote:
Robert,

Isn't this really a question for the AIS? Is it the AIS you are really
trying to encourage to change to follow this supposed standard in the
Bulletin, online in their web pages, and/or other publications?

If so, it is somewhat simple to change the variety name to the mixed
upper and lower case form and then use bold to make it stand out in
written form (assuming future use only).

But for folks posting names online or for their own purposes, they could
use all caps or whatever is comfy for them, no? I don't use all caps in
my posts, names in my iris database, garden labels, etc and would rather
not be forced to use ALL CAPS either!

cath

--
Catherine Button    Network Administrator    cathy@pavcal.com