Re: more 1501 seedlings

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] more 1501 seedlings
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 03:07:36 -0800 (PST)

Sterling Okase <sterling_o@yahoo.com> wrote:

Wow, I really like the second one DSCF0020. That is
really something, very distinctive and interesting.
How does this one grow? How is the branching and bud
count on it? I do a lot of blue bearded crosses and I
know getting those saturated blue beards is difficult.
I had a seedling bloom this past spring that startled
me. Bright wine red with a screaming blue beard.

Sterling
Seattle, WA USA
zone 8

Sterling:  Your seedling  sounds wonderful...Do you have photos?  I'd love to see it.  As to your question about the seedling I posted...

  The entire batch of seedlings bloomed this last spring for the first time so I don't know anything with certainty.  I do know that it had a decent first bloomstalk and that it is fertile.  Even if it's not the greatest for stalk, I'll sib sross it to the best of the batch and see if I can improve it.  Other than that I'll have to wait to see what it does this year...Sometimes things have really suprised me and done better(or worse) than its first display....Things usually improve when it comes to bud count and stalk...USUALLY but there are no absolutes..I have my fingers crossed on this one...Thanks for the interest....Paul