Re: Power Woman--Ht, Season etc

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Power Woman--Ht, Season etc
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:37:26 -0500

Margie Valenzuela asked: " [Power Woman]...  how tall does it grow, and how many buds?  And is it E, M, ML?"

Margie, the height is registered at 32".  Considering from photos of how things grow in the Willamette Valley of Oregon and a lot of other places compared to here, I suspect PW will be taller, fuller and more branched than I see.  I haven't gotten the soil balanced and brought up to optimum fertility yet--the place is fairly new to us and the soils are depleated ancient mountain red clay.

The season is E-M.  PW is one of if not *the* first TB to bloom here and lasts more than two weeks with a long succession of more stalks emerging from the most mature increases in addition to the primary fan.  Bud count and branching?  branching varies from one-plus-spur to two branches.  Power Woman has inherited Romantic Evening's trait of multiple-buds in socket.  I have seen three to four in the terminal, often three in the larger branch.  Total bud count varies five to eight.  Better grown, who knows?  There's no show stalks, just lots of flowers emerging in succession.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the branching on the individual stalks, but the presentation in the garden is all that I could ask.

A couple of people have commented about the velvety look to the fall.  Actually, what the cv has is the blackish sheen of Romantic Evening.  That is what gives the look of velvet in the photos.  In life, what happens is that as one's angle of view changes, the colors of the fall chase one another across the petal from reddish purple to black.  This appears to be a texture effect.  Additionally, there's some coppery influence in the heart of the flower that does not photograph.

I have been enchanted with the diverse seedlings bloomed so far from this lady.  Being from a very wide outcross (Schreiner orchid x Ghio line-bred with lots of *aphylla* ancestry through Black Forest and others) I think there's loads of potential.

When the seedlings have tangerine beards instead of blue, they range from white with a little tangerine in the throat to vivid deep red right to the end.  The CV also may carry, nearly hidden, the dominant amoena factor.  I'm not sure how to interpret the bicolor/bitone seedlings I see.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links