Re: Fwd: Re: more 1501 seedlings

  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [iris-photos] more 1501 seedlings
  • From: Sterling Okase <sterling_o@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:07:47 -0800 (PST)

--- "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What a nice flower M9405-2
> is.  (The light blue with the darker beards)  What
> is that ? Is it a median?  Tell me more about what
> its like as a plant.  Where would the horns be
> expected from.

Thank you. M9405-2 was my initial blue bearded SA
cross. Scorpio is Space Age Tall Bearded and Westar is
a blue SDB. The seedlings in this bunch were mostly in
the median range except for M9405-2, it bloomed as an
SDB and pretty much stayed that way. On occasion it
blooms taller than the 15" class restriction. I often
wonder if some stray SDB pollen (perhaps selfed)
contaminated the cross but this seedling has rather
husky leaves and stalks for it's height and is pretty
much pod and pollen sterile. So I think it's true to
the cross but stayed a short, fat SDB.

In 2000, I rubbed some Chanted pollen on every flower
and got two pods with lots of seeds. Germination was
pretty good. The following year they bloomed,but most
of them were not worth saving and none had horns. I
only kept M0014-1 because of it's saturated color and
blue beard, it doesn't grow as well as it should, the
flower form could be better, and I haven't tested it's
fertility as yet.

> I've
> tried to get the horns onto SDB's for years and find
> it quite difficult.

I have tried a little over 10 years to do the same. It
is very difficult. My initial goal was to produce a
blue SDB with black, Codicil type beard and horns but
so far no luck. I do get SA SDBs in my seedling patch
from time to time but nothing to shout about. A lot of
them tend to be deformed as you have already learned.

> I wonder if you
> have any sibs to this darker flower and if a sib
> cross or perhaps a back cross to the parent could do
> something for you.

I have thought about this very thing but I tossed all
the sibs last year. Many of them had blue beards but
none were SA and none were really worth saving. I will
probably cross it to something else and see what
happens. It seems that non horned seedlings when used
as parents don't often produce horned things. Do you
find this to be true?

Wow, I like your SA seedling. Is it an SDB? It's a
little narrow in the falls but with color like that, I
bet it would give you some really interesting things.
I would like to see that. I am sure you would get a
few SA SDBs from it.

Sterling
Seattle, WA. zone 8

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/