Re: Fwd: Re: more 1501 seedlings

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: Fwd: Re: [iris-photos] more 1501 seedlings
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" <lacedgables@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:08:29 -0800 (PST)

> The seedlings in this bunch were mostly in
the median range except for M9405-2, it bloomed as an
SDB and pretty much stayed that way. On occasion it
blooms taller than the 15" class restriction.

Sterling:  Interesting...I've noticed variation in size with this type of cross, but never something that stayed a SDB...usually tall, thiner stalks...

>It seems that non horned seedlings when used
as parents don't often produce horned things. Do you
find this to be true?

...I've read that to be true with rebloom. But have found exception to the rule.  The crosses I've made have had the horned clone to as the parent.  I think that I was following something that stated this thought process to be true. I do know that when using a median as a parent, it's best to use the median as the Pod parent.  You are more likely to get unreduced gametes to become seeds that way.  Less likely the other way...so putting pollen onto your light blue seedling was the best bet.

>Wow, I like your SA seedling. Is it an SDB?

Thanks...It is a median (Triffid x Chanted).  It was a very interesting cross...I learned a lot from it.  I had 50 seeds from the cross, had 45 germinate and planted them all.( Usually select out the smaller or odd formed seedlings )I logged only six to have horns and of those six, only three were worth keeping....Of those three only one was pink, but it was the more narrow of the three.

>bet it would give you some really interesting things.
I would like to see that. I am sure you would get a
few SA SDBs from it.

I've only gotten two plants to bloom size from this so far.  Usually the growth is so small and slow that I don't want to even see the results, I can just tell...some have only one fan after two years of growth....This year I had a great year for germination on this seedling.  It is not always fertile, some years not at all.  I'll give it another shot...this time the pollen parent is a SDB and is very wide.  It also has Chanted in its history.
I will include a photo of a sib to the pink seedling. Next the photo of one of the seedlings to bloom from pink seedling.  The second generation seedling is pink also, but has four petals on a semi regular basis, also the branching is very tight.  The second photo of the pink second generation seedling shows four petals in the flower on the left back stem.  I let it pass this year as it is really not behaving...I could have tried to pursue this because it was fertile, but had better fish to fry....Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links