Re: Re :2000-S

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Re :2000-S
  • From: "J. Paul Hill" lacedgables@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:48:46 -0800 (PST)

Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net> wrote:
>  As plicatas go, one of the strongest pink-ground ones for me has been LONELY HEARTS. It is a beautiful flower, good stalk and normally good growth.  Unfortunately I trimmed back a little too far on stock, then had a near bloom-out last year.  Finally, two sprouts showed up late in the season.
Neil: ...I've had trouble with the recessives from these lines in my garden.  I am concerned about the rot problems I have on some of these....1094-B:(Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks) was the pod parent for 2000-S and it did very well even in Atlanta....With all the rain we had this last summer I had a little trouble with 2000-S, but that was an unusual summer.  I'm concerned about the line being  inbred.  I know that's how you get the recessives, but I was looking for a different line....I almost forgot that I have 17 seedlings from (Silk Brocade x 2000-S) and I hope to see those this spring.  But this was only a test cross because of my concerns about rot.
>Monty is quoted as saying "I'd have two to breed from and the rest seedlings."  I'm trying to utilize my limited space similarly--keep only those I might use in breeding--and use the rest of the ground for seedlings.
....I agree with Monty.  If I'm not breeding with it, it's very hard for me to keep it around.   Seedlings need their elbow room....
>  An example of the quality luminatas from Keppel and Blyth recent things shows inside the back cover of Keith's 2003 catalog.  His TELEPATHY and Blyth's HIGH MASTER are pictured there.
.....I saw that Barry Blyth inserted a different line into HIGH MASTER and I bought it right away.  It has yet to bloom for me.  TELEPATHY is from NEW LEAF and I am leery of it.  NEW LEAF did not do well in my yard.  I got rid of it the first year.  Perhaps I should have given it more time, but there's that seedling thing...
>  I hear a lot of unhappy comments on how difficult West Coast luminatas behave in the South and East.  Your breeding lines might well make a difference in that.
...The pod parent of 2000-S is 1094-B(Queen in Calico x Sky Hooks) and it did very well, even in Atlanta...I never had a rot problem ever.  2000 -S had some problems this year with all the rain, but so did many other things in my garden that never did before.  I have a sib to 1094-B that I back crossed 2000-S to.  This sib also grows very well, never a problem...but doesn't set seed well and has poor pollen.  It does not have horns or any other space age manifestation.   I have 108 seeds from that cross waiting for planting....I'm hoping to keep the hardiness....I'll include photos of both the 1094s.
>Your 2000-S has a stronger pink ground color than any of any plicata type I've seen.  It seems you have a significant potential there.
...I only see the things that come out in the catalogs, but that's what I was thinking.  I sent a photo of it to Keith Keppel and he said the same thing....It has me very excited to think where it could lead.  Only time will tell....I'll be positive about it, that's what's gotten me this far.   Paul

Yahoo! Groups Links

Do you Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links