Re: HYB: Blyth survivors

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Blyth survivors
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:16:56 -0500

Linda, your post--and suggestion the data and feedback be on Iris-talk to
make it more likely to be found by searchers in the future--is right on.
I'll second your suggestion.

So here I am turning right around and continuing the thread on Iris-photos.
Not very consistant, am I.

One thing that has been really interesting to me is a substantial shift in
direction taking place in Blyth's breeding a few generations back.  The heavy
reliance on SUNSET SNOWS, LIGHTNING RIDGE and similar line-breeding that
ultimately is PINNACLE, pinks, and PROGENITOR/WHOLE CLOTH oriented has taken
a subtle but significant shift.  Barry mentions this in a *Tall Talk*
article.  The pinks and Progenitor-derived ancestry is still there, but the
newer Blyth line is more dependent on Ghio sources than on Opal Brown's work.
I have forgotten just what all came into the line, but the quality has shot
up rapidly in recent generations.

Plume d'Or, Cafe Risque, Avona and some others figure heavily in the
ancestries of recent varieties, and MAN ABOUT TOWN (from Plume d'Or x Cafe
Risque) is especially notable, as are its several named sibs.  Currently
LOUISA'S SONG and its sibs, including SILK ROMANCE have been especially
productive of wide, beautifully formed and remarkable colorful creations.
Another name that surfaces repeatedly is AVONA.  The genetics in the line are
so complex that astounding variety is emerging.

DECADENCE is one to watch, for sure.  It's offspring into the second and
third (I think) generation have just plain *class.*  The semi-annual visits
involving Ghio, Blyth and Keppel gathering at Keppel's and Keith's visits to
Oz are affecting the breeding lines in new and exciting ways.  My mouth
waters and my imagination soars.  The fabulous results coming out of this
just simply exceed possible description.  We're in for a revolution in iris
development through these contacts and sharing of resources.

I believe it not especially productive to depend on the older Blyth work in
one's breeding program.  The newer ones are a radical step forward, contain
what was best about the older ones, but have a verve and quality that will
move our breeding work to new levels.

"Are we having fun yet?" to quote some eight-year-old's.  Indeed we are!

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC